Code Violations

Zoning Ordinances are adopted to promote the public health, safety and welfare of the citizens of that community. Zoning Ordinances are adopted in order to conserve and promote the public health, safety, convenience and general welfare, by guiding and accomplishing a coordinated and harmonious County development for future growth. The erection, construction or alteration of any structure or the use of any property or structure, not in conformance with this Ordinance constitutes a violation. The following information is provided to you to help define and assist you in determining what is and what is not a violation of the Yavapai County Ordinances.

What is a Code Violation?

Blight and nuisances can de-value, detract and degrade the quality of any neighborhood. Common ordinance violations include but are not limited to the following:

  • The storage of any building material, equipment, tires, auto parts, appliances and personal items that are not shielded from public view.
  • Non-running, inoperable, disabled or abandoned vehicles.
  • Farm animals may be prohibited in certain zoning districts and/or limited to the amount allowed.
  • Failure to display address.
  • Grading, erecting fences, placement of manufactured homes and building etc… without the proper permits.
  • Failed Septic Systems.
  • Recreational vehicle or camping on vacant property.
  • Dangerous buildings.
  • Light pollution in excess of the Dark Sky Ordinance.

What is Not a Code Violation?

An allegation of a code violation can be a serious matter. It is important to distinguish the difference between violations and non-violations so not to expend the counties resources on false violation allegations. Yavapai County strives to investigate all reports of violations in a timely and efficient manner.

In order to expend our resources in the most appropriate and efficient manner, it is important to distinguish the difference between real violations and non-violations. Examples of what is NOT a violation are below:

  • Ugly or unattractive automobiles, trucks and recreational vehicles.
  • Weeds in the ditch along the roadway should be maintained by the property owner or reported to the Public Works.
  • Violations of CC&R’s.
  • Excessive dust during construction should be reported to ADEQ at (800) 234-5677.
  • Legally parked vehicles on the public right-of-way. If inoperable or abandoned notify the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office.
  • Excessive barking or dogs at large (report to Sheriff’s OfficeAnimal Control).
  • Social nuisances and noisy activities should be reported to the Sheriff’s Office.

You can submit a land use complaint through our online portal.

Violations can also be called-in through our VIOLATION HOTLINE (928) 771-3464.
Please be advised that e-mails regarding complaints will be included as part of the violation record.