Manufactured Homes

Manufactured Home

ASR 42-19151 "Manufactured Home" means a structure transportable in one or more sections including the plumbing, heating, air conditioning and electrical systems contained in such structure which, when erected on site, is either of the following:

  • Greater than 8 body feet in width, 32 body feet or more in length and built on a permanent chassis
  • Regardless of the size, used as a single-family dwelling or for commercial purposes with or without a permanent foundation

What is the difference between manufactured and modular homes?

Manufactured homes are constructed according to a code administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD Code). The HUD Code, unlike conventional building codes, requires Manufactured Homes to be constructed on a permanent chassis.

Modular homes are constructed to the same state, local or regional building codes (IBC) as site-built homes. Other types of systems-built homes include panelized wall systems, log homes, structural insulated panels, and insulating concrete forms.

Whether it's modular or manufactured, both are constructed in a factory environment and eventually moved to a home site. Both types of homes are quality built with high grade building materials. Virtually all modular homes are installed on permanent foundations on private property. Manufactured homes have a non-removable steel chassis and may or may not require a permanent foundation. They are either placed on private property or land lease communities. Throughout Arizona there are many 55+ or family communities available.

Arizona Department of Housing - Certificates and Labels

Affidavit of Affixture

ARS 42-15203 - Any person who owns both the manufactured home and the land on which the manufactured home is located may file an Affidavit of Affixture with the Recorder of the county in which the real property is located.

An Affidavit of Affixture is a document that is used to change the status of a manufactured home from personal property to real property. If the manufactured home for which an Affidavit of Affixture has been filed is removed or sold separately from that parcel of land, then the manufactured home must be re-titled through motor vehicle. The form Affidavit of Affixture may be obtained by contacting the County Assessor's Office or a Title Company in your area.

Affidavit of Affixture with Instructions (DOR 82528)(PDF, 613KB)

Ownership / Change of Ownership

The ownership of a manufactured home for which an Affidavit of Affixture has been recorded is the same as the land ownership. Once an Affidavit of Affixture has been recorded, the ownership of the manufactured home changes whenever deeded action changes the ownership of the land.

ARS 28-2063 - A manufactured home for which an Affidavit of Affixture has not been filed is issued a title through the Motor Vehicle Department (MVD). A multi section unit will have a title for each section. When a titled manufactured home, park model or travel trailer changes ownership, the title(s) to the home must be transferred through MVD.

504 Tax Clearance/Moving Permits

ARS 28-1104 - A form 504 tax clearance permit is required by law when moving a mobile home. The assessor shall issue the clearance if it is determined that all fees and ad valorem taxes applicable to the manufactured / mobile home pursuant to title 42 have been paid as of the date of application.

The 504 tax clearance permit must be issued by the county that the manufactured / mobile home is currently located in.

Information Required for Permit

The required information needed to obtain this permit is:

  • Current physical location of the unit
  • Mailing address of current owner
  • Name of mover or moving company
  • New mailing address
  • New owner or Dealer's name (if sold or traded in)
  • New physical location
  • Titled Owner or Dealer's name
  • Year, make, size and vehicle identification number of manufactured home being moved

504 Request Form(PDF, 96KB)

Re-Titling an Affixed Manufactured Home

Once an affixed manufactured home has been removed from the parcel that it was affixed to or has been sold separately from the land, the manufactured home must be re-titled through the motor vehicle department. In order to re-title the owner must:

  • Complete an application for Arizona Certificate of Title and Registration.
  • Have the manufactured home inspected to verify the vehicle identification number (VIN #).
  • To obtain a state inspection call 480-632-8747 Option #5, Option #0.
  • Provide a written statement that the manufactured home is no longer affixed to the real property.
  • Submit a copy of the Affidavit of Affixture.
  • Submit a lien clearance, if applicable.
  • Submit a notarized bill of sale if the owner indicated on the Affidavit of Affixture has transferred ownership.
  • Submit a tax clearance on the real property.

Manufactured Home Park Monthly Reports

ARS 42-19154 - All manufactured home park owners or managers shall file a monthly report with the County Assessor's Office of the county in which the land is located not later than the 10th day following the month covered by the report. The report should include all activity in the park such as:

  • When a manufactured home, park model or travel trailer moves into the park.
  • When a manufactured home, park model or travel trailer moves out of the park.
  • When the ownership of an existing unit changes.

Manufactured Home Park and Trailer Court Operator's Report to County Assessor Operators-Park-Report_82505-f_5.2016.pdf(PDF, 733KB) - You may also contact us for a supply of reports and park registration cards.

Mobile Home & Travel Trailer Registration - Park Card (DOR 82505A) Registration-Park-Card_82505a.f_11.2003.pdf(PDF, 386KB)  

HUD Labels

HUD Label
Metal Riveted Plate

HUD Label

All mobile/manufactured homes (post-1976) will have this plate. State of Arizona manufactured/mobile home units have this type of label affixed to each exterior floor section. Usually displayed on the left bottom corner at the rear.

Installation (Set-Up) Sticker
Stick-on Foil Label

Installation Label

This insignia is affixed by the installer, plumber, electrician, etc., not by the factory. It is displayed on a manufactured/mobile home or typically atop the HUD Label.

Factory Built (Modular) Building Sticker
Stick-on Foil Label

Modular Label

Modular (factory built) units have this type of insignia affixed to each exterior floor section.

Relocation Fund

ARS 33-1476.03 - Any manufactured home that is located on rental Mobile Home Park must pay into the manufactured home relocation fund. This tax was established by the legislature as a revenue source for the fund. The tax amount is based on a primary tax rate of $0.50 per $100 of the limited assessed value of the manufactured home. This tax does not apply to the value of any of the improvements such as awnings, store rooms, room additions or cooling.

Fund Disbursement

Disbursement of this fund is handled by The Department of Building and Fire Safety / Manufactured Housing. You can contact them at 602-364-1003 or at the following address:

The Department of Building and Fire Safety
Manufactured Housing Department
1110 W Washington #100
Phoenix, AZ 85007